I was just starting publishing preparations when I noticed a REMmed line reminding me of something I hadn’t finished.
Once done this changed the game dynamic but a little too much as it became a touch too difficult too early on.
I made some adjustments and mentally signed off the project (always a nice feeling). Next was the publishing which I (foolishly) thought would be straightforward.
I looked through the worldofspectrum archives to remind myself of how the publications of the time published these listings and like I thought the replicated ZX-Printer style output in columns was the order of the day.
I had two ideas in my head of how I was going to publish, the first (ambitious) idea was to fire up an old Macintosh running an old version of PageMaker. However I think that would take too long, so my second idea was to create a HTML5 layout and I can then physically print plus print to PDF for paper-less distribution.
CSS3 has had colums support within it for a while so I thought this would be ideal to help me layout the pages.
How wrong was I!
It took me longer than I thought it should have to get the columns layed out like I wanted. Column widths, word wrapping, multiple spaces all getting messed up in the layout. Eventually I managed to get the correct Alchemy to match the 32 column width and with the ZX font thrown in I was very happy with it.
All I have to do now is print…
This was when my problems really started.
It seems Chrome doesn’t support multi column layouts when you print, so I thought not a problem I am on a Mac I’ll try Safari. Again no column support on print. After reading lots online about people with similar issues, I read that Internet Explorer (modern at least) does support column printing.
So I booted up a Windows 8.1 PC and loaded my HTML into Internet Explorer. Of course I had to make some markup changes, hack the ZX Font so it would load etc. But in the end all was good and I had my layout on screen how I wanted.
I printed to PDF and there were the columns, now I’m getting somewhere…